Tuesday, March 25, 2008

JeJu Island!!

March 21 – MY BIRTHDAY
We flew to JeJu Island this morning! JeJu Island is a small island off the southern coast of South Korea. It is called Peace Island. There they are living the Hong Ik Philosophy. There are no gates, homeless or theft on the island. Everyone shares and takes in people, it is so beautiful!
At the airport I was greeted by the same welcome crew as I was greeted by in September when I visited; including the same bus and bus driver. I felt so much love and a warm welcome. When I got on the bus, I cried because I was so overcome with gratitude. I don’t know how I have gotten this once in a lifetime experience twice, but I am so happy. I really looked inside myself to see what I need to do here, I am here again for a reason, to do something more.
We drove straight to JeJu University, where werwhere we did a short demo to advertise for our performance at 5:00 that day. Then we went to a scared place where they used to hold heavenly ceremonies. It is said you need to pray here when you get to the island, so you do not receive bad energy. I felt a lot of energy there. We headed back to the University and performed for the students. There were only about 20 people there, which was a bummer. But we still spread the energy! The BNB (body and brain club - which is a part of the Dahn community) members at the university and us went to a Korean BBQ. GREAT FOOD, and great company! It was a lot of fun getting to know the members even though neither could speak eachothers language. Together we went to a Dahn Center and we performed for the members there. It was very HSP (healthy, smile(happiness)and peace)!! A BNB member did a famous Korean dance and we performed our ChunBuShinGong and Phoenix Dance. When we came out of the training room, there was cake, bread, juice, pop, etc for Brandon, Aaronnim and I's birthday. It was so sweet. So we all shared in the snacks. So appreciative for all they do for us - to say the least.
We drove to Kukhawkwon on JeJu Island where we slept while we were on the island.

March 22 -
Today we went to Uh-do Island off the coast of JeJu (it is where JeJu natives go for vacation). We took a short ferry ride in the morning. When we got there we rented electric scooters (sorry dad I drove one, even scarier I had a passenger). We drove around the island - I tried taking in everything I could, using all of my sense! The colors were so vibrant! Bight yellow flower, deep green grass and dark black stone walls. The smell of the ocean, the sounds of the ocean, our scooters, the I tried to be present in every moment! We stopped along the way at the beach, only Brandon and Aaronnim jumped in and froze to death. :) We took pictures and put our feet in. The day was overcast but I really enjoyed the beach - it had a mystical feel to it. Then we stopped later to eat lunch. We stopped at an Oh-dang booth and the lady let us in the back to eat our lunch. That is one of my favorite things about Korea, everyone is so helpful and everything is shared...everything!
Back on JeJu, we then got the chance to climb Sunrise Peak in the east coast of the island. Such an incredible view, again the gloominess of the day added to the dramatics of the view. At the top we performed the ChunBuShinGong and we saw a big rabbit (the day before Easter!).
We went to a center and met the Masters and practiced HSP 12 steps (hand walking) then went to a Korean Spa. It was exactly what I needed. We went into the sauna and then the hot tubs and cold tubs and back and forth. It was such a beautiful experience. It is amazing how bonding being naked can be. :)

March 23 -
Today was the day of our performance with Grand Master Lee's lecture at the International Convention Center. For me, the performance was the most fluid we have done it. I could easily connect with the energy and send it out. We sang Arirang with the b-boys, and BNB club members we met the other day. We went out to eat with Master Giya and shared then went back to where we were staying. There we did a soybean paste soup detox. :) It was interesting. They put a lining over your stomach and then put on this warm thick soybean paste and then some towels and a heating pad then wrapped you tight. We did intestine exercises (and fell asleep) for 2 hours. There was some releasing but mostly just calming and felt great.

March 24-
We woke up and got to ride the horses! I rode Smile. It was a lot of fun, I have never ridden a horse that went fast then a walk. Then we were treated (yet again) to a nice lunch buffet. Incredible food!! We then drove to JeJu City hall and met with people there and then got a tour of city hall. I really enjoyed hearing about how they are planning to get the Hong Ik Philoshophy alive and how they plan on getting more people to experience this island and what it feels like to truly be at peace!!
We then drove to Halla University where we performeed the ChunBuShinGong to a class of people. It was much different then he previous college. This group was very open and enjoyed having us. The Hong Ik feeling was there!
Next we went to a Dahn Center to rest and get healings (massages) and then went out to dinner - raw fish was the menu. It was a lot of fun (look at the pics and videos) and pretty good tasting to! We ran back to the center and had to perform within 30 min. :) It was YEHA Day in JeJu. This group of people where a little bit older (but still young at heart). So it was a different feel to the performance, comfortable but not as high energy. It was easy to feel the group around me when I was not as worried about getting every movement correct.
March 25-
We headed back to mainland Korea early this morning.

JeJu Island really showed me what life can be like when we have the mind of a community and not just I. Harmonize first with myself, then others, and naturally it will spread and become common sense. I wish everyone would get the chance to fell this feeling...and soon you will! That is my dream, my vision I am working towards.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Danielle~~~I am so proud of you...Love and CJKN to you and all the others....Wish I was there!!! Oh, I am!